WIAW #33: Keepin’ it Real Simple

Woohoo, Wednesday! Half-way through this work week.

It’s been a brutal one over here. I feel like I have about a thousand deadlines all at once—just in time for summer. Oh to be able to relax and read blogs all day. A girl can dream right?

Anyway enough depressing talk about my work life. Let’s talk about food since of course it’s What I Ate Wednesday time! Thanks to Jenn for hosting!

WIAWbutton

So lately I’ve been in the habit of grocery shopping every 1.5-2 weeks instead of every week. I mean, I’m only one person, so I don’t truly need to go every week. But towards the tail end of my supply I start to have a limited selection of fresh produce on hand. This was one of those days. So I had to keep it simple.

Breakfast

The usual! Egg sandwich with one egg, egg whites, cheddar cheese, and apricot jam this time. Sweet and savory mmm.

Lunch

Keeping it simple. String cheese and some hummus toast, just making use of what I had hanging around the house!

Snack #1

Chobani + granola. Running out of Greek yogurt is a major signal that I need to grocery shop. If I still have that, I’m generally okay haha.

Surprise Coffee Break

A coworker and I were both in need of some iced coffee. I said work has been rough lately didn’t I? This helped some.

Snack #2

Apple, plain and simple.

Work it Out

I drove to the gym after work and actually got in an awesome cardio workout. I mixed things up a lot, and ended up spending 20 minutes on the elliptical, 10 minutes on the treadmill, and 5 minutes doing some random cardio circuit work. When I have time to make a pretty graphic for it I’ll share! It was definitely a good one.

Then I went home to bust out Week 3 of Ripped in 30. Moving on to Week 4 tomorrow!

Dinner

After I showered and whatnot I went to the kitchen to make some dinner. Pasta with veggies was calling my name. Gotta use up those veggies!

I did my usual trick, and added Greek yogurt to make the pasta sauce extra creamy. Delicious!

Dessert

Dessert was a couple of my recipe fails from the other night. They don’t look pretty but they taste pretty darn good.

And there you have it!

Questions: How often do you grocery shop? Do you try to use up most/all of your food before you hit the store again?

36 thoughts on “WIAW #33: Keepin’ it Real Simple

1. Caitlin

Nicely done with the meals, girl! We go shopping every saturday haha…two of us clean things out pretty nicely by thursday so friday is always interesting…by saturday we need food badly!

2. Sam @ Better With Sprinkles

I’m definitely a grocery-shopping-once-a-week sort of girl…with two of us we, we can make our way through everything in the fridge pretty quickly!

And jam = a must on egg sandwiches. I love the little hint of sweetness!

3. Khushboo

Haha I try to stick with once-a-week grocery shopping but it usually ends up being a few times a week! It’s not the most efficient approach but I can’t stand seeing my fridge near empty ;) ! Great idea about adding in Greek yogurt to your pasta sauce…definitely worth trying next time!

4. Sarah @pickyrunner

Haha I’m the total opposite with grocery shopping! I go every 3ish days! I don’t know why, either, since I buy the same things every time so you’d think I could just buy a little extra but nope, not me. I like to make my life more complicated than it already is. Your dinner looks SO GOOD. Especially with a flat cookie, which I’d still eat.

1. aftertheivyleague Post author

Thanks! And I would definitely grocery shop more often if I had the time and if it was convenient. Living in the city I get so frustrated sitting at traffic lights or waiting in traffic, it seems like such a hassle to run a simple errand sometimes! Definite love/hate relationship with Providence lately haha

5. Lillian @ Seize the Latte

I love the idea of Greek yogurt in pasta sauce! It sounds delicious, and I keep wanting to try it — but then I keep forgetting (Captain Brain Fart, reporting for duty). Anyways, we’re definitely weekly shoppers; we go through a lot of food, so we’d starve to death if we didn’t hit the grocery store each weekend. :)

Have a good day — I hope work eases up soon! (And if it doesn’t, well, there’s always iced coffee. But really, it’d be much better if you could have both iced coffee and a reprieve from all those deadlines. I’m sending big cyber-hugs and happy work thoughts your way!)

1. aftertheivyleague Post author

Thanks so much for this comment!! Definitely needed to read this one after the work day I just had. Sigh. It looks like things should slow down a bit next week, and definitely the week after which is such a huge relief!

6. Beth @ Mangoes and Miles

I’ve never had the banana Chobani before…I thought I had had them all! Next trip to the grocery store will include scouting for it. :) I’ve never thought of putting greek yogurt in pasta either, but I should get on that stat…

I go grocery shopping when I’m really low on everything, so I guess that counts as eating most/all of my food before I go. (It usually ends up being about once a week.) I love grocery shopping, but it can take up a lot of time, especially if you’re getting something new or going some place new!

7. Jessie

Sometimes the simplest meals are the best ones! We usually grocery shop every Friday… and yes, I always try to use every last item in our fridge before buying new.

8. Taryn

The goal is to go shopping once a week.. on either Saturday or Sunday. The last two weeks, though, it’s been more like I visit Publix every other day. Going away on the weekends has led to poor planning and more frequent shopping trips. I love having an empty fridge/pantry when I go shopping though. I buy exactly what I’ll need each week and try not to go to the store until I’m on E.

I don’t really have a set schedule for grocery shopping… I usually go about once a week, but sometimes I have to make emergency visits if I run out of some of my staples. I’ve been trying to get better with using up the things in my pantry and fridge, buuuuut I can only do that for so long before I start craving the foods that I really love, and if I ran out of something like cereal, bananas, or yogurt? I honestly don’t know how I’d get by…

1. aftertheivyleague Post author

Definitely true. I’ve been trying to make sure I use up more of my pantry items too. It really saves me a lot of money when I try to remember that! Instead of buying more potatoes for instance, I need to cook the crap ton of rice that I already have on hand. Little things like that really help

10. Natalie @ Lift,Sleep, Eat

mmm that pasta meal looks really good! i love adding greek yoghurt to stuff to make it more creamy!
    i usually grocery shop about once a week but ill occasionally pop to places to stock up on fresh stuff.

11. Meghan @ fitnesscrEATures

Yum to all your food, especially that iced coffee and pasta dinner! Two of my favorite things all at once! I’m with ya on the Greek yogurt, always stocked up so if I’m low, I know something’s up! :) Happy Wednesday, fellow MegHan!

12. Lindsay @ The Functional Foodie

I like your sweet and savory breakfast. I never thought jam would taste good with eggs and meat. I think I am going to try that out for my breakfast in a few days (I have so many leftover flourless pancakes I have to eat up before they go bad, so I’ll have to wait :( ).

1. aftertheivyleague Post author

It’s one of those strange combinations that is somehow delicious! I don’t have it everyday, but once in awhile I’m really craving that sweetness and it takes breakfast to the next level!

13. Alex @ Cookie Dough Katzen

Grocery shopping and saving money on food seems to be a popular topic today! I go every 2 weeks I think is what it works out to be. I like to load up on frozen veggies to use right before I have to go grocery shopping. Good luck with work this week! 2 days until the weekend!

14. Anna @AnnaTheApple

It’s so satisfying to use up all your food before you go shopping I find. But I always need to do mini shops in between….like stock up on apples! We go every week. I try to get loads of frozen meat and veg so we’ve always got things to hand but I do love having a fridge stock full of different veg. And canned food as well, always handy!

15. Katy

I’ve never had a sandwich with eggs, cheese and jam before… it looks delicious! I definitely need to try it!

I grocery shop once a week but I’ll go randomly throughout the week just because I love grocery shopping.. and I live alone so I usually don’t finish all my food which is such a terrible habit! I’ll plan my meals then get bored and want to do cook else….

16. Melissa

I usually end up going to the grocery store about once a week to stock up on fresh produce – but sometimes I’ll try to stretch it out to 2!

I’ve never thought of using greek yogurt in pasta sauce, but I love the concept. I love creamy pasta sauces but not cream sauce, if that makes any sense at all haha.

17. Katie

Loving all the eats!! I go to the grocery store once a week! I do use up all my stuff too! We try not to waste stuff around here!