Epic Recipe Failure

Before I get to my post, I want to pray for all the families affected by the major tornadoes in Oklahoma. Watching the news now, I can’t believe what I’m seeing. This community needs our prayers.

Good morning everyone! Happy Tuesday to all of you!

I don’t have a lot of time to blog today, but I thought I’d pop in with a quick recipe failure from last night for your entertainment. I finally got to experiment with this product that I mentioned weeks ago.

Xylitol sweetener is an alternative to sugar that can be used in baking at a 1 to 1 ratio. It’s a naturally occurring sugar found in many of the fruits and vegetables we eat on a daily basis. Clinical research has shown that it has some pretty interesting health benefits too, including healthier teeth, stabilized blood sugar, lower insulin levels, and increased endurance. But—it tastes like sugar!

Check out their website to find out more about the health benefits of xylitol.

Ok—back to this recipe failure. I was hit hard last night with a major craving for chocolate chip cookies. I didn’t want to make a full batch, so I quartered my usual recipe and decided to substitute xylitol and gluten-free all-purpose flour instead of the usual sugar and flour. Sounds like it should’ve worked, right?

WRONG.

I ended up with flat, mushy, oddly-spotted cookies. I’m not really sure what happened.

They tasted great, but the texture was most definitely not okay.

(I obviously still plan on eating them.)

I’m hoping to find more time to experiment with this product. The taste was there, I just need to play around a bit more to get the right texture. Wish me luck!

Questions: What was your last epic recipe failure? Do you try baking substitutes often?

Full disclosure: I was not compensated for this post, but was provided the product free of charge in exchange for a review and (hopefully) a recipe. Still working on that. ;) All opinions are—of course—my own!

35 thoughts on “Epic Recipe Failure

1. Sam @ Better With Sprinkles

I think everyone gets a baking fail now and again! As for substitutions, it usually depends on what I’m baking. If I’m baking for an event or for someone else (like a birthday cake or something) I’ll stick to a tried and true recipe because I want it to work out. If I’m just playing around and experimenting in the kitchen, I don’t mind trying some new variations!

1. aftertheivyleague Post author

Same here! I’ve only experimented with GF baking once or twice for others. For the most part, I just bake normally for them because hey–it’s cheaper and most of my coworkers and friends don’t have any allergies. But it’s definitely fun to experiment on my own sometimes!

1. aftertheivyleague Post author

I liked the gum too! Weirdly yummy I thought. And it is definitely less fine than sugar. I’m determined to make it work though, it tasted great in the cookies, just need to work on the texture more!

2. Alyssa @ Road to RD

Interesting information on xylitol! I had no idea it was a naturally occurring sugar. When I bake or cook I can never just follow the recipe, and I always have to swap out or add something. Sometimes it works, other times I end up with soggy half raw banana bread.

1. aftertheivyleague Post author

LOL I cracked up at this comment! Soggy half raw banana bread, I have definitely been there. Especially when I experiment with almond flour. That ish is finnicky.

3. victoria @ reluctantlyskinny

g.free baking is hit or miss…sometimes ap flour works, sometimes it doesn’t! you definitely bake ore than I do, but as far as cooking goes (especially when breading) i find that a mixture of ap, amaranth, and almond flour works. the almond flour is a bit thicker, i think! good luck with your next attempt – i’m sure it’ll be awesome!

1. aftertheivyleague Post author

I’ve found the same, whenever I mix GF flours (like all-purpose with almond flour) I’m usually pretty successful with my baking. That seems to be the key! I was looking for a shortcut this time around and clearly I paid the price hahaha

Oh baking fails… I know them very well. It’s been a while since I’ve had one because I’ve been sticking to some tried and true recipes lately rather than trying to come up with my own, but I’m definitely no stranger to them. And xylitol is actually probably my favorite sugar alternative in baking, but I’ve only used it in muffins and breads – never cookies. Maybe try that next?

1. aftertheivyleague Post author

I think that’s what I need to do. Same goes with GF baking, my greatest successes are usually in the cake/muffin/bread variety. Cookies are tricky for some reason. I think banana bread or muffins of some kind are next on my to-try list! Hope it goes better this time around!

5. Taryn

I made chocolate chip cookies last week and they were a big fail too. I used the same recipe I always use, but I cut it in half and used stevia baking blend instead of sugar. The cookies tasted off – they were still good, but they had a weird texture and were not anywhere near as awesome as chocolate chip cookies usually are. I wonder if it’s just the sugar substitute?

1. aftertheivyleague Post author

Hmmm, I’m wondering the same thing. I’ve baked with stevia once before too, but I made a “healthy” muffin recipe so I didn’t really expect them to taste all that great anyway. And they weren’t that great, but they were edible. It’s either something about cookies specifically (boo, they’re my fave) or something about the sugar substitute. I guess we can’t expect them to taste exactly the same? Although with xylitol they did, they just didn’t look the same. Obviously haha.

6. Lillian @ Seize the Latte

Dude, GF baking is *hard*! I’ve had many, many, many a recipe fail (three in one day this past weekend, actually) — I’ve found that substituting GF flour for regular flour, in many cases, doesn’t do the trick like I’d hoped. I’ve had good luck with Mama’s Almond Blend GF flour and King Arthur GF mixes, so I think I’ll start using the pre-made blends instead of trying to be all inventive by creating my own. I know King Arthur makes a chocolate chip cookie mix that I haven’t tried, but I’m more than willing to try it — anything in the name of science (or, more accurately, “science”), right?! :)

1. aftertheivyleague Post author

GF baking is definitely tricky! Especially with cookies I’ve found. I still haven’t really had a great success with them, and it stinks because cookies are my favorite! haha. The flour mixes usually work well for me too, especially when I combine a couple different ones. I tried to make these cookies quick and simple though with just one type of flour and yea. No bueno.

7. Becky @ Olives n Wine

Ugh, flat cookies are the worst! I hate when I have baking fails which happens more often than I’d like to admit. Luckily, “failed” baked goods still taste good but I never feel comfortable sharing them because of their ugliness!

1. aftertheivyleague Post author

Haha so true. These cookies were nowhere near the prettiest of the bunch. But hey–at least they tasted good enough and I didn’t let them go to waste! Dessert tonight was pretty yummy

1. aftertheivyleague Post author

Haha well–they barely got off the baking sheet. If I hadn’t used parchment paper I’m pretty sure they would’ve been stuck there. But oh well, you live (or bake) and learn!