Back from Virginia Beach!

Hi friends! I’ve missed you!

I spent the weekend completely away from the internet and it was pretty wonderful :) But I’m happy to be home now and falling back into my usual routine! This won’t be a typical What I Ate Wednesday post, but there’s a little bit of food involved so I think it counts ;) Big thanks to Jenn for hosting!

WIAWbutton

Prepare for a photo dump!

Me, my sister, and my niece and nephew drove down to Norfolk, VA this weekend to visit my brother and his fiancee (AKA my best friend forever) Jen!

I miss them a lot and it was so nice to see them! Highlights:

We did some touristy sight-seeing of the battleships.

And walked through the Armed Forces Memorial, where you can read old letters written by soldiers.

I got a 3 mile run in (8:58) around their neighborhood, and everyone was so much friendlier than they are up north! I swear, every runner I went past smiled and waved. So refreshing.

Then I made the prettiest omelet ever for breakfast.

We went to the zoo! The kids had a blast.

We played a few drinking games at night once the kids went to bed (obviously ;) )

And went to brunch for delicious $3 mimosas! I would kill for a drink special like that in Providence.

Oh, and naturally we went to the beach. It wasn’t beach weather at all, but we still wanted to see the ocean and walk around a bit.

And now I already miss Jen and Joe :( I’ll definitely be visiting them again soon!

I got home relatively early on Monday night, but Matt came over almost right away so I didn’t have time to blog. Then I had to be at a job site all day today (Tuesday) and was out of the house by 6:15 this morning. I’m pretty wiped! Bedtime for me :)

Questions: Are fellow runners and people in general friendly where you live? Favorite brunch cocktail? What’d you do this weekend?

29 thoughts on “Back from Virginia Beach!

1. Sarah @pickyrunner

I’m glad you had such a good trip (but I’m even more glad you’re back… for my own selfish reasons)! Family vacations are seriously the best if you ask me. I love running in the summer because everyone on the island knows me as the runner and I see a lot of other people out and about. Here in Baltimore it’s not quite the same.

That omelet does look pretty good– just oozing with cheese! :D

That’s the same why I felt when I visited California. My dad and I are both early birds so we always got up in the mornings and took a few miles walk around Coronado Island. Everyone was so friendly, smiling and just overall looked happy to be there. Nothing like where I live! People generally look grumpy and won’t even say hi to you when you pass them by.

3. Beth @ Mangoes and Miles

Sounds like you had an awesome trip! That letter broke my heart…

Fellow runners and people in general are sort-of friendly where I live. Most of the time, they won’t smile and acknowledge you, but they’ll respect your space. The people who annoy me most are those who manage to somehow take up the entire trail and then you have to jump over tree roots off of the trail to pass them. -.-

4. Sam @ Better With Sprinkles

Glad you had a fabulous time over the weekend!
    I’m all for mimosas for brunch…so good.

I actually don’t see a lot of runners in this area of town, so I’m not sure how friendly most of them are. I’ve gotten a couple smiles from people I run by on the street though!

5. Taryn

Runners on the bridge here are not super friendly – everyone seems to think their path is more important than anyone else’s and they basically refuse to move over even when they’re running 2 or 3 across. When I run in the park near my apartment though, people always say hello :)

6. Khushboo

Your trip sounds so nice and I’m glad you were able to unplug and just enjoy spending time with family :) ! I’m intrigued by that mimosa- what flavor juice is that? I don’t know why I was always under the impression that mimosas were strictly with orange juice! Either way mimosas are my favorite brunch cocktail, although sangria is pretty fabulous too!

7. Megan @runningonjava

I’m so glad you had fun at the beach. I actually love the beach year round, but it’s definitely better when the sun is out and it’s warm! I always fail at omelets, so kudos to you for mastering that skill!

8. Caitlin

What a great weekend :) I’m glad that you had such a wonderful trip! Runners in pittsburgh aren’t too bad haha…groups are much more likely to say hi than solo runners but it always brightens my day to see someone smile and wave :)

9. Julie @ There and Back Again

I’m glad you had a great time in VB/Norfolk! I remember thinking the same thing about friendly runners when I moved from upstate NY to the Outer Banks… I love how everybody waves and smiles. Also, amazing brunch specials with cheap mimosas are pretty standard down here… ahh, the things I never knew about the South! :)

10. Lillian @ Seize the Latte

I’m so glad you had such a lovely mini-vacay — welcome home! I can completely relate to missing family a lot, so I feel your pain on that one.

I have a bunch of random thoughts on this, so I apologize for the fact that this is far from coherent: I love the omelet (it’s gorgeous!), hooray for friendly runners (why is it that people up North are so taciturn?), your niece and nephew are freakin’ adorable (I can totally see why you adore them), and the letter from the sailor to his wife made me get all kinds of verklempt (love letters have that effect on me, but that one was especially powerful). :)

11. Victoria @ Reluctantly Skinny

We went to Virginia Beach when Andrew was stationed in Virginia – still out favorite vacation to date. Those letters were one of the sweetest things I’ve ever seen.

The south is sooo much friendlier than up here! The difference never ceases to amaze me.

12. Nicole @ FruitnFitness

I’m glad you had a good trip! I don’t see too many other runners in Lexington unless I am at one of the parks. I like running in the parks and around the other runners it’s always nice to get a smile from someone else who’s out enjoying the sunshine. When I am out walking with Bentley, without fail someone will stop to talk to him for a few minutes. Yes, I did say talk to him.

13. Melissa

Welcome back! I have to admit I got pretty jealous when I saw those zoo pictures – zoos are some of my favorite places to go on trips! Most runners around here are college students, and they’re pretty friendly overall.

Awwr shame that it wasn’t beach weather, but your trips looks like it was a fabulous one nonetheless! The most memorable part of my weekend was celebrating my dad’s birthday and recovering from a sugar hangover after eating a little too much chocolate cake. Good times :D

15. Anna @AnnaTheApple

Wow it looks so pretty there. That street with the houses just looks so lovely with all the greenery and nice houses.
    Runners around where I live are quite friendly. I always say hello to other runners I come across and it’s like even though we don’t actually know each other we’re all part of this private club together. Sad maybe… It annoys me when people don’t respond or ignore me though. Unless they look like they’re dying haha. Then that’s fair enough. People in general are quite happy to nod or smile as well which is nice.

16. Becky @ Olives n Wine

People from Minnesota are known as “Minnesota Nice” although I think it is a false statement. They’re nice to your face but then will talk about you behind your back :/ On that negative note… Good to hear you had a wonderful weekend away!

17. Pingback: Thursday Thoughts 4/25/13 | After the Ivy League