Hi guys! Good morning and happy Tuesday! As promised, I plan to share the recipe today for the gluten-free cupcakes I made this weekend.
But first, I have a little non-recipe to share with you guys. A few readers asked me to share my pasta recipe that I blogged about on Friday. I wasn’t planning on sharing a “recipe”, but since you guys asked, here’s what I do!
Veggie Pasta Skillet with Greek yogurt
1 serving of GF pasta (I swear by Trader Joe’s)
1-2 cups of chopped veggies (broccoli, peppers, onions, cauliflower..whatever you want!)
1/2 cup pasta sauce
~1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
Salt, pepper, garlic powder to taste
1. Fill a pot with water and set it to boil.
2. Sauté the chopped vegetables in a pan sprayed with cooking spray over medium heat. Season with salt, pepper, and a little bit of garlic powder.
3. When the water comes to a rapid boil, salt the water and add pasta. For GF pasta set the timer according to cooking instructions. You don’t want to overcook GF pasta!
4. When the vegetables are tender, lower the heat and add the pasta sauce. Stir together and let it simmer.
5. Drain the pasta when it’s finished cooking, then add to the skillet and stir together.
6. To finish, add a big scoop of plain Greek yogurt and stir it into the pasta sauce, about a quarter cup. Then serve!
I often add chicken sausage to my pasta skillets when they’re on sale that week (they can be pricey otherwise!) but I like the added protein from the Greek yogurt as a substitute! Plus it’s delicious and creamy
Ok, onto the main recipe of the day.
Gluten Free Hummingbird Cupcakes
Adapted from Bake or Break. Makes 24-30 cupcakes.
2 cups of GF all-purpose flour (Bob’s Red Mill or Trader Joe’s)
1 cup blanched almond flour (I use Honeyville)
1 and 1/2 tsp xanthan gum (if using all-purpose flour, xanthan gum not needed)
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 cups granulated sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
3 large eggs, beaten
1 cup vegetable oil or canola oil
1/2 cup water (if using all-purpose flour, water not needed)
1 and 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 8-oz can of crushed pineapple
1 cup chopped pecans
2 cups chopped bananas (about two very large bananas)
8 oz cream cheese, room temperature
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
1-2 cups confectioner’s sugar, to desired sweetness
1 tsp vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Line cupcake pans and set aside.
2. Whisk together flours, xanthan gum, baking soda, salt, sugar, and cinnamon in a large bowl.
3. Beat eggs in a separate bowl, then add to the dry ingredients along with the oil. Stir until dry ingredients are moistened.
4. Batter will appear to be very thick at this point. Stir in 1/2 cup of water to thin out the batter.
5. Stir in vanilla, pineapple, pecans, and bananas.
6. Distribute batter into prepared cupcake pans. Bake for 25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
7. Allow cupcakes to cool completely before frosting.
8. Prepare the frosting by beating cream cheese and butter together until creamy, about 3 minutes.
9. Gradually add sugar, beating until light and fluffy.
10. Stir in vanilla.
11. Frost cupcakes and serve!
I’m actually super proud of this recipe because it was the first time a batter didn’t look the way I thought it should while experimenting with gluten-free flours. I had to wing it/improvise a bit and go with my baking instincts.
The end result was something delicious that everyone has loved. Family, friends, coworkers, even Matt had three cupcakes! And he’s a self-proclaimed non-sweets person. So they must be good!
I hope you guys enjoyed this recipe, definitely let me know if you try these!