Thursday Thoughts on Friday

1. I have to say, I loved reading all of your comments on yesterday’s post! What a relief to find out that I’m not alone. I was surprised by how many of you have gone through something similar. Seriously so comforting to read :)

2. Logan has a girlfriend!! Look at them holding paws! He’s growing up too fast :(

733966_4772481305144_463014141_n

3. I haven’t mentioned it much on the blog, but I’ve obviously been watching Season 2 of Girls and just caught up with the finale this weekend. Favorite quote ever from Shosh: “There is nobody else! Especially not an adult male blond! You know me better than that!” –DIED laughing.

4. My planner came in! I’m obsessed with it.

planner

5. I went for a 3 mile run after work yesterday and it felt easier than last week, even though I was running at basically the same pace. My splits were something like 8:48, 9:21, and 9:16. Nice to see improvement!

6. I definitely missed having these views though…

But Providence is beautiful too in its own way.

7. While we’re on the topic of fitness, let’s talk about how I got strength workouts in on vacation without my beloved Jillian. I’m a little impaired in the fitness-lingo department…deadlift? Row? Press? Lateral raise? Come again? Even with my very limited knowledge/memory, I came up with something to do:

PicMonkey Collage

I completed the circuit as fast as I could with as little rest as possible, and finished in about 15 minutes using two 20-lb dumbbells for the squats. My arms were burning by the end! And I was definitely cursing the planks.

8. I’ve become completely obsessed with putting plain Greek yogurt in my pasta sauce. Almost every night this week…

9. Also in the food department this week, I had a bit of a recipe fail. I tried to make the Fitnessista’s peanut butter cup amazeballs and well…

Fail. I was lazy and tried to skip the whole food processor step. Apparently that’s really important.

10. It’s Easter this weekend! I’m so excited to BAKE! My mom put me in charge of whatever dessert I want to bring and I’m having a lot of trouble narrowing it down. Carrot cake cupcakes or hummingbird cupcakes? Monster cookies or cowgirl cookies? Oh and I definitely want to make homemade Reese’s eggs! I’ll be sure to Instagram along the way and share any particularly awesome recipes next week.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Questions: Any epic recipe fails for you lately? How do you get strength workouts in on vacation?

44 thoughts on “Thursday Thoughts on Friday

1. chasingchels

I try to do you podcasts or videos when i’m on vacation to get some strength in…usually works out pretty well. I don’t think I’ve had any baking recipe fails lately…hope not anyway since i’m sending cookies out today :P

2. Khushboo Thadani (@KhushbooThadani)

Mmm that pasta looks good- great way to add creaminess and fullness :) ! For what it’s worth those amazeballs still look yum…just eat it wit a spoon! When I’m travelling, tabata workouts are usually my go-to because they’re short yet effective. I tend to stick with body weight exercises…might sound easy but by the last few reps you can really feel your muscles burning!

Haha! That’s exactly what I did, ate them with a spoon. Still tasted delicious! Tabata workouts look like an awesome way to get a quick strength circuit in..I think I have a few pinned, I need to try some!

3. Lillian @ Seize the Latte

I had an epic, EPIC pancake fail last weekend — it was horrific. My kitchen looked like a crime scene, and the pancakes were so beyond redemption that I couldn’t even get them to cook properly. This wasn’t even an epic fail where it looks ok until you taste it, it was an epic fail while still in the freakin’ pan. Aaah, the joys of baking.

As for your Easter baking, it all sounds amazing! Monster cookies are my favorite dessert in the entire world, so I vote for those little nuggets of deliciousness. :) Have an awesome Friday!

4. allisonhayes91

Ooh, please share whatever recipe you end up making! I am in charge of dessert, too. And oh my goodness, I just started watching Girls last night and I am obsessed. Seriously, best show ever.

Pinterest was an option I was considering for sure! I’m just so bad at remembering the names for all the different strength moves and was in a bit of a time crunch. I’m sure I’ll get better with the names sooner or later!

Logan’s girlfriend is a cutie! I’ve been put in charge of desserts this weekend as well and I’m still having a hard time narrowing it down. I was thinking carrot cake, but I’m not the biggest fan. My mom wants cheesecake… but again, not the biggest fan :lol: In the end I might settle for some kind of banana or coconut cream pie.

6. maureenbreakingfree

ahaha! My last baking fail was when I tried to make my sinfully delicious cookies uhm well, not so sinful with all healthy swaps…let’s just say there are some cookies that are not meant to be healthy! I’m in charge of baking this weekend too! :)

Haha I’ve tried and failed at that too! I usually find that making one and only one healthy swap usually works, but if you try to switch too much around it usually doesn’t work out quite right. Also muffins/cakes tend to be easier to healthify than cookies in my opinion!

The freezer! That would’ve been a great idea. I kind of just plopped mine into a tupperware and put them in the fridge, then ate them with a spoon. They were delicious! Next time I’ll suck it up and bring out the food processor haha

Aw Logan’s girlfriend. Providence is really gorgeous in some areas and honestly, there’s nowhere I’d rather be in the summertime. Which thankfully is only a few months away! I hope you have a fantastic Easter and come up with something really delicious!

8. Taryn

My last business trip I was in a different time zone so ended up waking up super super early every morning. I did some YouTube videos in my hotel room, but had to stop because I was jumping around a bit and was afraid I’d wake the people in the room underneath mine.

Haha I always feel bad for my roommates when I’m doing a workout video with certain cardio moves that have a lot of jumping, like rockstar jumps or high knees. I make so much noise!

9. Reluctantly Skinny

I tried to make squash one; left it in the fridge so I couldn’t cut into it, so I microwaved it, burned my hand, finally started roasting it and realized there were bananas on top of the toaster oven. Fail! My family puts me in charge of “a healthy dish” I think because I’m the only one who will want to eat it!

I don’t have HBO either, I’m really lucky my boyfriend does! That’s the only way I get to stay caught up on my favorite HBO shows..I’m sure it’ll be on Netflix eventually!

10. Erin

Love the pup picture!! And you just made me want to try adding greek yogurt to pasta sauce! I added it to mac n cheese last night and it was sooo good!

I agree, the first season was way better. Once I start watching a show though I’m pretty committed to it, no matter how bad it gets (I even watched the final season of that 70′s show). Season 2 got better towards the end I thought!

11. Anna Smith-James (@AnnaTheApple88)

My list for epic baking fails is endless. I once made a cake and didn’t grease the cake tin and ended up scraping the whole thing out into a bowl, and thereby known as the ‘cake in the bowl’ Incident forever more by my friends. I’m just not that great at baking. Did the peanut butter cups taste nice though? That’s the most important thing!

Haha! I love that! “cake in a bowl” incident! I’ve forgotten to grease pans many times too..though usually for french fries or something for dinner. They’ll get stuck to the baking sheet and half the potatoes will remain on the pan by the time I’m done scraping. So sad haha. But yes, they at least tasted good! Definitely what’s most important.

I can’t remember now how I first was inspired to do it…but I’m totally obsessed with it. It’s like–why wouldn’t you add Greek yogurt to pasta sauce? Adds protein to the dish and makes it taste creamy and delicious!

12. Pingback: GF Hummingbird Cupcakes and a Non-Recipe | After the Ivy League