The Little Things

Hi friends! How is the first full week back to work/school/etc treating you? I have a feeling it’s gonna be a long one for me unfortunately.

I trucked my coughing, sneezing, congested self to the office yesterday (on time!) because I didn’t feel that bad, and was already way behind thanks to missing a couple days last week. It was a long day staring at a computer screen, but I finished a major deliverable and can finally stop worrying about it.

French Toast Breakfast Scramble

I don’t know about you guys, but when I’m sick I don’t generally feel too adventurous food-wise. I pretty much stick to toast and juice.

But this weekend when I woke up on Saturday and didn’t feel that bad, I decided to try something different. Anyone who reads Tina’s blog knows she’s a fan of her French Toast Breakfast Scramble. I was hesitant since I’ve never been a fan of “sweet” eggs in the past, but I figured…don’t knock it till you try it. Right?

Well I tried it! And my first thought was holy God that is a lot of cinnamon. I would definitely decrease it next time.

And my second thought was hmmm I don’t think there will be a next time.

My taste buds haven’t changed, I just can’t eat sweet eggs. They weird me out! I need salt and cheese and bread.

At least I tried it?

Checking things off

So I have this mental list of a million organizational things I want to do around the house. One of them was to take down our Christmas decorations and clean the walls from our party, which I got done this weekend.

Another item on my list was our coat closet. It was a disaster. The type of closet that stressed me out every time I opened it to quickly grab my coat. I can’t stand clutter!

Since I still have a nasty cough and a sinus infection, I decided against the gym today. But I’ve been feeling super antsy since I was sick and in bed most of the weekend. I couldn’t come home from work and do nothing, so I decided to tackle another item on my list.

Woohoo! Floor space! You should’ve seen the before picture. I conveniently forgot to take one, woops ;)

I’m embarrassed to admit how happy this makes me.

In other news…Downton fans, what’d you think of the premiere?? I thought it was great and am so happy to have my favorite characters back in my life. Now I’m watching The Biggest Loser for the first time ever (crazy I know) and I think I’m getting hooked. The last thing I need is another TV show to follow!

Questions: What’s one food in the blog world you can’t get on board with? Anyone else have organizational goals for the new year?

38 thoughts on “The Little Things

1. Life's a Bowl

Yay for trying new things, but nay for not liking them… I love sweet eggs, they remind me of french toast but minus the toast part haha :P I love checking things off my list and getting things organized- it’s such a good feeling of accomplishment once it’s done! I have a *huge* pile of ironing that I’ve been avoiding for weeks, yes weeks….

Most of the time I end up liking new things (like oats minus the oats) but the cinnamon plus eggs combo just wasn’t for me :-/ And oh man, ironing is my least favorite thing to do! I actually straight up don’t do it. My coworkers are always shocked when I tell them I don’t even own an iron haha!

2. Megan

Greek yogurt!!! I don’t know if I could do sweet eggs either. Every one and their mother loves greek yogurt and I think it is oh so very gross. Since going paleo now I have a nope no thanks, no dairy. Instead of the oh I don’t like it and peoples heads start spinning and all “say whattt”.

Haha I am one of those head spinning people! I love yogurt and Greek yogurt…but one of my best friends hates it too. She says it’s too thick or something for her. And yes, going paleo is now the perfect excuse! haha

Oh I know, Pinterest makes me want to organize every aspect of my freaking life! haha…I know at a minimum I want to go to The Container Store and find some cute ways to organize my clothes closet better. I wanted it to be a weekend project this past weekend but unfortunately my sick butt prevented it!

3. Haley @ The Saucy Apple

Hmm… I’m having trouble motivating myself to try overnight oats. I just love my oats to be hot when I eat them. I totally understand about loving your newly discovered closet floor… it’s like a breath of fresh air. :) And it makes the closet seem bigger, too. Also, I’m totally obsessed with The Biggest Loser! It’s a fun show to be hooked on.

I’ve never tried overnight oats either, I agree I like them hot! If I wanted cold oats I think I’d just choose cereal instead. And it really is like a breath of fresh air. When I grabbed my coat this morning and saw the extra space, it was heavenly!

I’m glad you’re feeling a bit better!! I don’t even want to try the scramble since I hate eggs haha I don’t like a lot of weird food concoctions I see. So good for you for trying them!!

5. Natalie @ Free Range Human

I totally agree with the sweet eggs. To be fair, I haven’t tried it, but it just seems to weird! I didn’t watch Downton! I’m still waiting on the second season from Mom. I taped the episode the other night so I’m ready to go, but I’m being strong and not watching it until I get through season 2!

Yea…I’m thinking sweet eggs definitely aren’t for everyone! And definitely finish Season 2 before you watch the new one..it’ll be worth it!! Can’t wait till you get all caught up :)

6. Cookie Dough Katzen

yay for a clean closet! Now, I’d say the one food I can’t get on board with is actually protein powder. Well, I’m not against it or anything but I don’t see what all the hype is. Do you use it? I just don’t think I workout enough to need it. Who knows, maybe I’ll come around! Hope you are feeling better. I am but I’ve still got the coughing part. Tomorrow will be better I’m sure of it! :)

I use protein powder sometimes, but not that often. I’ve had two big containers of it for ohhh 6 months now and haven’t finished them yet if that tells you anything haha. I pretty much only use it in smoothies, and I go through phases with those. Sometimes I want them all the time and other times I’m like eh, I’d rather not drink my food haha. I’m feeling much better thanks for asking! Woke up feeling almost normal today, just still a lingering cough. Glad you’re feeling better too!

7. Sam @ Better With Sprinkles

Hey, at least you can say you tried! No matter how I eat it, I can’t make myself like kale. It is bitter and gross to me. And I am a horribly unorganized person, especially when it comes to my school stuff. I have a massive binder that is just stuffed with papers with no sense of organization whatsoever. I need to work on that!

I’ve still never tried kale. I’m thinking the best way might be to have it in soup at first, one of these days! And getting organized with your school work would be a great way to start the new semester! I was always the opposite, super organized folders, binders, etc. every year! haha

8. practicinggrace

I’m nervous about admitting this….
    But I’m not a huge fan of oatmeal. I love the peanutbutter jar part ha, but I’d rather have eggs, a protein pancake, or smoothie. I might be shunned…

Haha! You won’t be shunned by me, don’t worry! I like oatmeal, but I don’t loveee it and rarely eat it. I have to be in the mood for it. I’m also a much bigger fan of eggs, pancakes, and smoothies!

9. olivesanwine

I just can’t get into nutritional yeast. The thought of it is just so unappetizing to me! I am pretty OCD about organization which drives my husband crazy. Apparently it’s hard to find things when I am constantly reorganizing closets ;)

I’ve never even thought about getting into nutritional yeast, props to you for at least considering it! haha I think the only way would be if it were hiding in a really delicious granola bar or something and I didn’t know it was there. And constantly reorganizing sounds like me! I’m always doing that with our kitchen stuff and my roommates sometimes struggle to find things in their new place! haha

Ugh my place is currently a disaster zone, and it seems like no matter how many times I clean it, it’s always dirty! I blame Christmas and my birthday – I just have a bunch of presents scattered around that don’t have a permanent home yet. Ugh. Frustrating… definitely a goal to get things a bit more organized soon. Clutter stresses me out!

I totally know how you feel! I love Christmas and everything, and don’t want to complain about getting new things, but finding a home for everything was a little stressful and I didn’t feel at ease again until everything had a place. You’ll get it done, don’t worry!

Cleaning and organizing the closet would’ve made my day too–there’s something therapeutic about it. :) All I have to say about Downton: Is it Sunday yet??

Haha seriously! I can’t wait for the next episode. I loved the American grandmother…the interactions between her and Grannie were hilarious. Grannie is probably my favorite character!

12. Nicole @ Sugar Coated Sisters

I’m with you on not liking sweet eggs… unless the eggs are just part of a baked good ;)

I haven’t really joined the protein powder movement… I have put it in smoothies before but that’s about it. I much prefer eggs or greek yogurt for protein!

I agree, eggs and Greek yogurt are some of my favorite sources of protein! Pretty much the only thing I use protein powder for is to add to smoothies too, although I have made my own protein bars before. That’s about it!

13. Mollie @Sprinkles of Life

Yay for organizing! I’m slowly getting our Christmas decor put away. LOVE the biggest loser. I know it’s a competition and I know some things are set up (hello big container of peanut butter and mayonnaise in a hotel room from last season?!?) but I love the motivation and health side of it. I think this is gonna be a great season, too. I love that they’re putting an emphasis on the childhood obesity epidemic.

I’m loving the emphasis on childhood obesity too! It really is sad what some children grow up eating, and the habits they develop at such a young age. Makes it even harder to quit them! I’m loving this season so far too, although I feel bad for the white team! I was sad to see Nathan go, I wish everyone could stay longer! haha

14. Pingback: Blog Love | quartercenturysouthernliving

15. Chelsie S

I need to learn to fold and put away my laundry within the same 24 hours that I put it in the washer. I don’t think that I’ve done this for over a year. Oops!! I really, really, really need to get on that. Speaking of which, I think that my dryer stopped. Ugh. I HATE FOLDING LAUNDRY!!! haha.
    Hope that you manage to keep it organized!! And yayyyy to work on time and smart gym decisions!! Victory!

Haha! I wish we lived closer cuz I strangely love folding laundry and I could definitely help you out! I hope I keep it organized too, can’t stand the clutter! It’s just more difficult sharing things with roommates (actually of the coats in that closet, legitimately only 4 are mine, the rest belong to roommates!). And you know I try to make smart gym decisions, I don’t want to make myself more sick!