A Body at Rest

Thankfully I appreciate irony.

As my “Body in Motion” post published on Thursday morning, guess who got completely knocked down by the flu?

This girl.

sorry-sick-day-due-get-well-ecard-someecards

And just like that, I was a body at rest.

With water, tissues, and cough drops by my side.

I woke up yesterday with a fever and an achy all-over feeling. My body was completely exhausted, to the point where simply lifting my head required major effort. I’m blaming Matt. He was sick on New Years, and definitely gave it to me :(

My cure for sickness?

SLEEP.

And Airborne. It’s magical.

And Season 2 of Grey’s Anatomy. It’s also kind of magical.

I woke up this morning feeling like a million bucks compared to yesterday.

When you’re able to, giving in to a cold, virus or flu is the best thing you can do. Take a day (or two or three) and REST. Take vitamins. Drink fluids. Take hot showers.

Your immune system can’t work as hard fighting the infection if you don’t rest. It needs time to concentrate, so give it time.

Just something to keep in mind this flu season :)

Questions: What are some of your at-home remedies for a bad cold or virus? What’s your favorite show to watch when you’re feeling pretty awful?

32 thoughts on “A Body at Rest

It seems like everyone is getting sick! A few of my family members were under the weather when I was home, and I woke up with a sore throat (and congested) this morning. :( I finished all my pressing errands, and I’m going to lay low for the rest of the day. Blahhh.

Laying low and taking Airborne sounds like a great plan to me! Same here, my brother was sick on Christmas, then Matt, and coworkers have been sick too. When everyone around you is sick it’s so hard to avoid it! I hope you feel better soon!

Ack! Everyone seems to be getting sick these days :( Hope you feel better soon, love! When I’m sick, it’s nothing but rest, tea, vitamin C, and hot soup for me. I plant my butt on the couch all day, throw in old seasons of Sex & the City, and wait for health to come again.

I know it! I had friends, roommates, siblings..everyone was getting sick! I didn’t stand a chance really :-/ And I 100% agree with your methods..the only thing I was missing was hot soup. I was too sick to go to the store and get some, so I had to deal with toast all day. SATC re-runs are the best, I have the entire series on DVD and it’s been way too long since I’ve re-watched it all.

3. runningonpb

Being sick is never fun but seriously, Grey’s Anatomy makes EVERYTHING better, especially with all the hot babes you get to drool over. Rest and Patrick Dempsey are always my go-to for feeling better

I love Grey’s! Especially retro Grey’s with George and Izzie…oh man and Patrick Dempsey, does it get any better than him? I really don’t think so! Makes me feel better every time :)

4. Cookie Dough Katzen

It seems like all of us are getting sick with something! Ugg. I don’t know of any great remedies other than to rest like you said. I definitely agree it’s good to take time off and relax your body. Glad you are feeling better today though! :)

5. Haley @ The Saucy Apple

Oh no! I hope you keep feeling better. I love the eecard… so funny. When I get sick I love to hold a warm mug full of hot liquid (could be tea, could be chocolate), and then I usually immerse myself into some show that I normally wouldn’t be caught dead watching. Let’s just say I may have watched an entire season of Dance Moms last fall. Not a proud moment.

6. Chelsie S

1. Season 2 is BY FAR my favourite of Grey’s Anatomy. To the point where I actually won’t watch any other season now. (And stopped somewhere in season 4 because the rest just didn’t stack up). The soundtrack to S2 is my favourite of any tv show ever ever ever ever. Love it.
    2. Agree with Amanda. If, by chance, you are sick longer than GAS2 (& HP marathon, duh), the SATC is the cure all. But I prefer it more on quiet summer nights with a cold drink. ;)
    3. Glad that you parked it and rested. Though I like the flu much better when it hits hard and wanes rather than starting with a dull ache and mild fatigue and building.
    Get better hun!! And kick the boy’s booty as soon as you’re well! ;)

WOO So glad I’m not the only one strangely obsessed with Season 2 specifically! haha…and I basically freaked out when you also mentioned the soundtrack. I absolutely LOVE that soundtrack. I thought I was the only one who ever purchased or listened to those things haha….but that one is seriously amazing. I have it in my car and listen to it all the time. The Season 1 soundtrack is pretty good too :) And I agree, I’d rather be really sick for a couple days then fairly sick for a week, much better to get it over with! And yes, Matt seriously owes me one!

7. Khushboo Thadani

Ah sorry you’re feeling less than stellar but glad to see you are on the mend! After countless times of trying to fight being sick, I’ve learned to realise that rest is the most important…even more so than medication in some cases! Rest accompanied with yum food and junky TV!

8. Life's a Bowl

Oh nooo, boo to being sick! I’ve been out the past few days myself and feeling like a bump on a log [read: lazy] but I know it’s exactly what I need to do despite how it makes me feel mentally… I’ve been scoping out tons of new shows and loving Nashville and New Girl :) Some piping hot oats, soup, throat lozenges, and lots of liquids have helped. Although now my nose is super raw, need to do something about that… Hope you feel better soon!

I know what you mean, I’ve been feeling antsy and lazy too, but at the same time I don’t want to risk making myself worse. Being sick sucks :( I’m obsessed with both those shows, have been watching both since they began cuz I had a feeling they’d be awesome. Can’t wait for the winter premieres! And my nose is hurting too, the Puffs plus lotion doesn’t really do anything. Hope you feel better soon too!

1. Life's a Bowl

Gah, we didn’t have any tissues and paper towels ripped my nose to shreds… We finally got a box from TJ’s but they were awful. The man knows his food but not his tissues! Feel better soon :)

9. samanthaangela

yuck. There’s definitely something nasty going around. I’ve got a bit of a cold myself, unfortunately. It’s a wicked bummer.