Birthday Reflections

It was my birthday yesterday. I’m 26 years-old.

My heart just sank about a mile after typing that. I don’t like growing up.

Like my dad always says, “it’s better than the alternative.” And I know I’m extremely fortunate to be celebrating another birthday, healthy and happy.

But is it ok to be a little sad too? I just miss being a kid. Before rent payments and car payments and responsibility and working 9-5 8-6 and grocery shopping and student loans and meal planning and cleaning.

Don’t get me wrong, I love my independence, and I’m proud to be living 100 percent on my own with no help from my parents. But is it bad to miss the days when I came home from school, browsed through a refrigerator stocked by someone else, ate a home cooked meal made by mom, and watched a TV I didn’t need to pay for? Tell me I’m not the only one who wants to go back in time…to the pink power ranger days…

Anyway, in celebration of my birthday a little, I’m gonna share some random facts about me! It’ll be fun to see if any of you relate to them :)

1. I don’t have a single piercing or tattoo, anywhere. Not even my ears.

2. I only have one dimple when I smile. I’m lopsided like that.

3. I make my bed immediately after getting out of it each morning. It’s the first thing I do for two reasons: a) I’m OCD and b) I’d crawl back into it otherwise.

4. I’m the spitting image of my father and a total daddy’s girl.

5. I’m extremely empathetic, and cry during books/movies all the time. The problem is, a particularly sad movie will upset me for hours. When I saw Titanic in the 5th grade I came home from the movies and cried all night. Don’t even get me started on The Notebook. This quote from “The Unbearable Lightness of Being” sums it up perfectly:

“Not even one’s own pain weighs so heavy as the pain one feels with someone, for someone, a pain intensified by the imagination and prolonged by a hundred echoes.”

6. I’m not very opinionated or passionate about anything. Right side. Left side. He said. She said. I’m generally neutral about most things. Tell me your side of a story, and I’ll probably agree with you. I don’t think this is a very good quality to have.

7. I’ve never dyed my hair.

8. I share my birthday with Rachel McAdams. I think this is awesome.

Edited to add: I apparently lied? I swear I read this in Cosmo one year but Wikipedia is telling me otherwise! Now I’m sad :(

9. I love country music, it’s pretty much all I listen to. I’m not talking about Taylor Swift and Rascall Flats here, I’m talking George Strait, Alan Jackson…real country music.

10. I’m wickid competitive at the dumbest things. I can’t even help it, it’s how I was raised. My family is a little crazy :)

So there’s a little more about me!

I’m hoping to get back to some “regular” posts (sharing recipes, workouts, and daily eats) but my life is a little hectic with my sister’s wedding coming up. Plus I’ve still been sick (haven’t had time to catch up on sleep like I need to) so the gym has fallen on the back burner for now.

Once I’m feeling better and get my life back together, I’ll post more! I may need a few days away from the blog to sort out my crazy schedule. Hope you guys understand! :)

22 thoughts on “Birthday Reflections

1. Alex @ therunwithin

gah I love this post, and totally shows how similar we are. the first thing I do is make my bed too, even at 530 am before I run. i am that kind of crazy. i do miss home a lot, especially just being around the people I love 24/7. homesickness is the worst!

You got it, that’s what I miss most. Being around my family and the people I love all the time. I love my roommates, don’t get me wrong, but it’s not the same!

Thanks! And I know, I need to remember the negatives of childhood like being told what to do and having less freedom…definitely don’t miss that!

2. Mollie @Sprinkles of Life

I sooo want to be young again. I love thinking back to those days. My childhood was nothing spectacular, nothing fancy, we didn’t have alot of money. But I do remember we were always together. Just playing around. I miss those days, too!

I’ve jokingly blamed my mom, saying it’s her fault I hate growing up because she gave me the picture perfect childhood! Mine was so similar, we didn’t have much money (although I never realized it until I was an adult) but we had everything we needed. I wouldn’t change a thing!

So glad to hear I’m not the only one. I’m sure one day I’ll get used to this whole “grown-up” thing, but it still hasn’t happened yet! Haha. And that’s probably one of my all-time favorite quotes.

Happy belated birthday, Meghan! Hope you celebrated accordingly! ;) Can we talk about number three/making the bed immediately–I do the same thing! I can’t start my day without knowing my bed is made, which sounds very OCD, but I’m just embracing it at this point. :) I’ve never dyed my hair either, and I love Rachel McAdams/Mean Girls!

I can’t start my day without making my bed either! On the very rare Saturday or Sunday morning that I don’t make it right away…I swear it’s like an omen for the day and I’ll be super lazy and unproductive!

Happy birthday Meghan!! (And I really hope that in the end, it was a happy one.)
    We’re definitely alike on the Daddy’s girl front. My Dad was also the one who (half-gently, half-not) told me that I was going to have to give up my Peter Pan I’ll-just-stay-young-forever fantasies and embrace life. I’m not a fan of growing up either — which is funny because I spent so much of my childhood longing to be older. Maybe we can keep our childish spirits ..? I think I like that idea. :)
    I loved learning about you! Especially about your competitve streak — I’m with you there. Another thing my Dad taught me well. He never let me win, always made me try my hardest. I respect him so much for that. Now when we compete — watch out! Do you compete with others in your mind when you’re out in public as well? Fun little habit of mine. :)

I was the same way! In high school I couldn’t wait to be independent and living on my own, I just wanted out. Now I look back and want to smack that 17 year-old version of myself and say “cherish it, for the love of God cherish it!” a la Happy Gilmore. Hanging onto our childlike spirits is definitely a good thing!

My dad was totally the one who made me so competitive too! He wouldn’t just beat us at kickball or whatever game, he would do a victory lap around the bases chanting in our little 5 year-old faces. Ok, maybe I’m exaggerating a bit, but that’s how it felt! Haha, now I’m super competitive, but I wish I wasn’t! I’m constantly competing with others in my mind over the randomest things! Crazy.

5. Jorie

Happy birthday, Meghan! I can relate to you on so many accounts: the one-sided dimple, the making the bed straight when you get up, and loving country music ;)

Don’t worry! I’ll probably get around to posting tomorrow, just a warning that I might not make my 5 days/week goal the next couple weeks :)

6. thehomeostaticmindset

Hey girl! I’m LOVING your blog!!! I just read a bunch of posts, but I didn’t want to fill up your inbox commenting on them all, so I’ll just comment on this one!

So, do I want to be a kid again sometimes? YES!!! BUT. I love being able to be the master of my own life and not have to follow so many dumb rules (as I had to in elementary school for example). So I totally understand what you’re going through. Every birthday I kinda panic a little. “I haven’t accomplished anything!!” But I realize to take a deep breath and look at the wonderful life I have :) And your Dad’s right- the alternative would kinda suck…

I laughed at your Rachel McAdams ‘Mean Girls’ gif. So funny! I thought it was interesting that I am pretty much the polar opposite to all of the points you listed- especially #6. I am SUPER opinionated and passionate about SO many things. Haha. It can be a problem. But I like it :) I have my ears pierced, don’t like country music, have dyed my hair 7 (!!) times (I always flip back and forth between blonde, brunette and somewhere in between…I get bored quickly and need a change!) and I never cry in movies (unless a dog dies lol). Yet, when I read your blog, so much of what you say resonates with me. Weird! Different, yet similar. :)

Happy Birthday!!! <3

Thanks so much!! I love when people stick around the blog awhile and read old posts, seriously such a huge compliment! And I know exactly what you mean, while I do miss the stress-free part of being young and living with family, I definitely don’t miss being told what to do! I love my independence and would probably go crazy without it! haha. And isn’t that weird how two people can think alike and have similar views on so many different things, but still be complete opposites in other ways? Just goes to show how each and every one of us is totally unique! Thanks for the birthday wishes! :)

7. Pingback: Versatile and Sweet | After the Ivy League