30 Before 30 and ADVICE NEEDED

I went to Barnes and Noble the other day to browse around for a new cookbook. (No, that’s not what I need advice about haha. I’ll get to that in a minute :) )

Anyway, I wanted to find one that would be a good fit for crossing off an item on my “30 before I’m 30” list. Something I could completely cook my way through, every single recipe.

I got a little distracted by the fiction section. I could spend (and have spent) hours in a book store, getting lost in the little descriptions of each story, and wishing I had all the time in the world to read and relax full time.

I also love looking at a table of books and mentally pointing out all the ones I’ve read. I don’t know why but it makes me feel all smart and literary and cultured.

Ain’t I cool? I’ve read all those books. And only 8 of them were required by school! I’m totally cultured.

Except that I was browsing through a new-to-me blog (The Midwest Maven) and found a really cool post about TIME magazine’s “Top 100 Novels of All-Time”. After looking through their list, I might not be as cultured as I thought. Here are the ones I’ve read:

Are You There God? It’s Me Margaret
Catch-22
The Catcher in the Rye
The Grapes of Wrath
The Great Gatsby
The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe
Lord of the Flies
1984
Slaughterhouse Five
The Sound and the Fury
Their Eyes were Watching God
Things Fall Apart
To Kill a Mockingbird

The ones in bold I read for fun, all of the others were required by school at one point or another. So, I’ve read 13 of the 100 novels in Time’s list, and only 4 of them were on my own. Kind of shameful? I dunno.

Anyway! Back to the task at hand. Cookbooks. I briefly considered going for an ultimate classic, like one of these two:

But then I got completely overwhelmed when I realized that cooking 1500 recipes would mean at least 1 recipe a day for the next 4 years and since I’d like to have a life outside of cooking, I decided against it. Seriously, how did Julie do it?

Anyway, I settled on this Ellie Krieger book that looks like a good combination of simple, easy recipes, mixed with some that will push me past my comfort zone to try new foods.

I’m excited to get crackin’ on this cookbook!

Work it Out

Once again I’m typing to you all on my lunch break at work, because I have plans to go to trivia tonight with The Boy. But I’m planning on a treadmill or outdoor run, followed by the last of my Body Revolution phase 1 workouts! I need to do the strength 4 workout and the cardio (because I didn’t get to workout yesterday).

If all goes as planned, I’ll start phase 2 on Friday! I’m kind of excited? I’m weird.

ADVICE NEEDED!!

I hope that obnoxious ALLCAPS moment caught your attention.

I need some advice from you guys (obviously lol). I’ve drafted a few posts that I want to share with everyone, but they’re pretty personal and I’m just not sure if I’m ready to make it all public, so-to-speak. I know I’m being very cryptic right now, but basically it’s a series of posts about “My Food Story”, and it explains why I needed to take a break from blogging this summer.

My hesitation is mostly from fear of what people I know in “real” life will think. I have no way of knowing if some random high school or college acquaintance of mine reads my blog, or even a coworker, and it could be pretty embarrassing if I just lay it all out there. I doubt people I semi-know read it, but it is a possibility (some close friends do, but I’m not afraid to share with them).

I want to share my story because I have a feeling it’s pretty relatable, and who knows, maybe it could help someone going through a similar situation. If it helps just one person, or makes one person feel less guilty/ashamed, then it’d be worth it. But I’m just having trouble biting the bullet and moving past the embarrassment of it all.

I don’t know what to do!

So, Question: Do I just put it all out there and share my story? Or should I keep it to myself, maybe wait until I feel more comfortable with it?

Please share your opinion!! I need all the advice I can get :)

19 thoughts on “30 Before 30 and ADVICE NEEDED

1. sanjapanja

Just do what you think is the RIGHT thing to do. It’s not always easy, but doing the RIGHT thins is always best. How do you know what the right thing to do is? I think if you look really deep inside you will know what the right thing to do is. Another thing to as yourself is: will someone else get hurt?
    Good luck!

You’re right…what’s that saying? What’s right isn’t always easy, what’s easy isn’t always right…something like that? Definitely no one would get hurt, it only involves me. Thanks for the encouragement! :)

I love B&N so much! I could easily spend an entire day there browsing, reading, and drinking coffee. :) I’ve read good things about Ellie Krieger’s book, so I’m excited to hear what you think!

As for your question, that’s a toughie. I think especially in this healthy living/blogging community, your story will be extremely relatable, but I totally get your concern about “real world” people reading it. That’s a dynamic we, as bloggers, have to toe carefully. Maybe an overview/summary initial post would be the way to go; that way, you could still tell your story, but keep things general while feeling out the response you get. It takes so much courage to share, and I’m sure you can do it!

I’m so excited to dig into Ellie Krieger’s book and share recipes! I’m hoping to start this weekend :)

It’s so nice to hear that I’m not the only blogger who worries about “real world” people. I know that it’s an insecurity thing, and I shouldn’t care so much about what other people think, but it’s hard not to! I like your idea of sharing a piece of my story in a general sense and seeing the response I get. That might be the way to go. Thanks so much for the support! :)

3. Katy

As one of the total randoms that reads your blog (haha!), I think you should go for it, if it’s something you want to share. Then again, I also shared my own “journey” too (so maybe I’m an oversharer?!). I think there’s a lot of secrecy and shame about eating/weight that really shouldn’t be there, and the more open and honest dialogues we have about it, the better! You’ll know what your own personal line in the sand is for sharing, so try to trust your gut! Good luck :)

You’re completely right, there’s too much secrecy and shame about eating/weight out there, not just in the healthy living blog community, in everyday life too! It’s definitely not right, and I think a lot more is gained from open and honest discussion than trying to gloss over negatives and put on a happy face all the time. It’s so hard to take the plunge though. You’re right, I need to trust my instincts, find my “overshare” line haha, and see where it takes me. Thanks for the advice!

4. frhuman

Ultimately, you have to be comfortable. But I will say, when I shared my struggle with the scale last week, the positive feedback and support (including from people I know in “real” life) was so wonderful that it made it worth it. You never know-people can surprise you ;)

I totally admired your courage and honesty to share about your struggle with the scale (it’s one of a few things that prompted me to write down my story, thanks!). I don’t know if I’m as brave as you though! But you’re right, positive support is never a bad thing. It sounds like I just need to take the risk and see what happens.

5. Alex @ therunwithin

hey lovely, email me. seriously, i would love to hear some of your fear and let you know that there is no fear with posting it. i have done the same and posted about my past because it is a huge part of who i am today and what strive for each day. really feel free to reach out therunwithin@gmail.com. pretty please? have a wonderful friday!

6. Jordan

I love looking over those tables like that! And basically doing anything in a bookstore…I also love looking through those kinds of 100 book type lists, seeing what I’ve read, garnering new ideas, and agreeing and disagreeing with their selections. Basically I love books. ;)

Haha me too! When I read those lists I usually get overwhelmed like “how have I not read that yet? I need to read this, this, and this asap”.

It usually never happens, but I’m sort of working on a “reading bucket list” to help. Always looking for good book recommendations!

7. daileeblossom

I, too, have looked at the TIME magazine list and felt really uncultured, haha! At least I can say I read every issue of People Magazine… :)

And I personally would love to read about your Food Story, but I know just what you mean about not wanting to put it all out there. That was something that held me back from starting my blog – I wasn’t sure I wanted my family (or those of them who didn’t already know about my food issues), friends, etc. to suddenly have all this really personal information about me, even though I felt like they would be supportive. I struggled with the idea that after they read everything, they might look at me differently. To some degree I still worry about this, which is why I’ve kept things pretty vague and low-key in my one week (hehe) of blogging… So basically, I think you just have to weigh the procs and cons of sharing your story with the world. If you feel like it would benefit you and be a source of reflection/growth, then it’s something to think about. If not, then don’t feel pressured to share! :)

Reading every issue of People magazine is actually quite impressive! haha

I really like the way you put that…weighing the pros and cons. Do I think that sharing my story/struggles will be a positive thing overall (helping me and others) and is it worth the slight risk of embarrassment. I’m leaning towards it being worth it. Thanks so much for the support!

8. Jorie

Thank you so much for the shout-out! I’ve been catching up on your last couple of blog posts, so I see that you decided to share your personal story. I think that’s a great thing. I’ve found that the blogging community is SO welcoming and supportive. If anything, I hope you find the experience cathartic and maybe you’ll also help/inspire a few other people out there along the way. I look forward to reading tomorrow.

Thanks Jorie! It really is a great, supportive community. I think it’ll be worth it in the end to share. Even if only one person out there relates to it and takes something from it, it’ll be worth it!