Goooood morning! I’m in a great mood right now, because I only have one class left for the day, no more homework due until Wednesday next week (practically a lifetime away), and I just treated myself to some on campus coffee!
Delicious New England hazelnut. Sometimes it’s really the little things that count, right? I’ve been trying to avoid spending a ton of money on campus like my undergraduate days, so this is the first coffee I’ve bought since the first day of class. Totally justified.
I love being on a college campus.
Today was such a perfect day weather wise. Could not have been more beautiful. I like to refer to it as a “room temperature” day. When the temperature outside is what you set your thermostat to be indoors, how could it get any better?
So last week I told you guys all about the best protein oats I ever made in my entire life and how it was all due to a fit of inspiration and a secret ingredient, remember?
Well it’s time to share that secret ingredient!
Vanilla Almond Protein Oatmeal
Adapted from Kath Eats. Serves 1.
1/3 cup old fashioned oats
1/3 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk (or milk of your choice)
1/2 cup water
1/2 tbsp chia seeds
1/2 a banana, sliced thinly (may use a frozen one, I do!)
1 scoop of vanilla whey protein powder
~1/4 tsp vanilla extract
~1/2 tsp cinnamon
~1/8 tsp almond extract <—- the secret ingredient!
1. Combine oats, milk, water, and chia seeds in a saucepan over medium heat.
2. While the oatmeal heats, slice a banana into very thin slices.
3. Once the oats begin to bubble, stir banana in vigorously to whip the banana into the oats.
4. When the banana is fully incorporated, add the scoop of protein powder, vanilla extract, cinnamon, and almond extract. Turn the heat down to medium-low.
5. Allow ingredients to meld together for a couple minutes until liquid is fully absorbed. The oats are done when they reach your desired consistency.
6. Add any toppings you like, I went with an apple and a big ol’ scoop of almond butter! The nutrition info below doesn’t include the toppings, FYI.
Oh man guys. This oatmeal.
SO delicious. If you’ve never tried almond extract, I highly recommend you go buy some immediately. I can’t even describe the taste to you, but I guarantee it’s been that ingredient that’s made you go “Hmm….WHAT is in these cookies/bars/cupcakes/etc?” It’s the secret ingredient! The secret to health! The secret to happiness!
Ok I’m taking it too far, sorry.
I actually bought my almond extract at Home Goods. Totally random, but I found it in the kitchen area with their specialty foods, which of course means I got a sweet deal. I just can’t get enough of Home Goods, TJ Maxx, and Marshall’s. I actually went to the mall last weekend with my mom, and was so outraged at all the prices that we left and drove straight to TJ’s! I’m a total convert.
What was I talking about?
Oh right. Oatmeal. Try it with almond extract!! Just do it.